I don’t know what your new year resolutions will be, but there can’t be a better one for strategists than ‘explore more’. With that in mind I have a list of 5 podcasts I’m giving my attention to in the new year, from popular culture to traditional marketing discussions. Hopefully you will find something that inspires you!
- By the Book – The self-help publishing market is now an $800 million market that’s growing 6% per year. And exploring what’s in those books is a fun and fascinating way to understand the zeitgeist. For example, our obsession with simplicity, authenticity and productivity certainly contributed to the success of The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. But who can keep up? The girls from Buy the Book can! Jolenta Greenberg and Kristen Meinzer offer a funny, personal, warm and insightful review of a self-help book every fortnight – because they literally live by what their book suggests for 2 weeks straight.
- Shiny New Object – Tom Ollerton, social media/advertising/marketing dude discusses new ideas, technologies with interesting types in the UK ad/innovation landscape. A fun informal listen that will keep you up to date in ways you never dreamed.
- Marketing School – Extremely pragmatic, useful and succinct podcast from Neil Patel & Eric Siu of Single Grain. Spend 10 minutes usefully and explore great marketing ideas from What You Can Learn From The Chinese About Business to 7 Marketing Lessons You Can Learn From Fortnite. What’s not to love?!
- In Our Time – This is a podcast from the BBC that explores thought, history, science and philopsophy. I have learnt more randomly useful facts, discovered more inspirational stories and expanding my mind more with this podcast than any other I listen to. Eclectic and intelligent – examples of episodes include Free Radicals, Margery Kempe and English Mysticism and The Long March.
- Hidden Brain – A polished, radio friendly podcast from Shankar Vedantam at NPR. Science and storytelling explore the unconscious patterns that drive our behavior and choices. Fascinating stuff that is essential listening for strategists imho.
Hopefully you will find something to inspire and amuse. And I wish you a very happy and successful 2019.